CARING FOR YOUR SINUSES AFTER ORAL SURGERY
1. If prescribed, take medications as directed
2. Do no spit for several days or as long as directed
3. Refrain from blowing your nose for two weeks or as long as directed
4. Try not to sneeze. If you must sneeze, try to do so with your mouth open.
5. Take Sudafed 60 mg every 6 hours for any nasal congestion if directed
6. Do not use a straw or smoke
7. Eat soft foods and chew on the opposite side
8. Follow oral hygiene instructions
It is not uncommon to have a slight amount of bleeding from the nose. Please call us if it is extensive or recurring.
Sinus communications will normally close on their own. However, some do not resolve and may require a surgical procedure. Following your doctor’s advice and sinus precautions is the best way to aid the healing process. Failure to do so may comprise your final outcome. If symptoms persist or recur, it is imperative that you call our office so that we may reevaluate your condition.
It is important to understand that failure to follow any of the instructions as indicated above may result in serious complications, significant detriment to your health, and in some case life threatening.
Please understand your overall health and well being during the healing period is extremely important to us. Your doctor is available to answer any questions concerning your surgery.